Busy Texting on phone?? You have to stop it right now! because it is damaging your neck ..
I will tell you solid details, on scrolling down this article.
It took us millions of years to attain the straight posture that we currently have..
And what we’ve been doing wrong with our body is, we really are not taking care of it, especially when we are busy texting around. Our neck gets tilted at various angles while texting over the phone or laptop and this causes a drastic change in our cervical spine.
Which is unwillingly causing a bend in our spine that we used to have 1000s of years ago.
A study performed by Kenneth K. Hansraj, MD Chief Of Spine Surgery, New York Spine Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine, New York named Assessment of Stresses in the
Cervical Spine Caused by Posture and Position of the Head says a tilting neck at 60 degrees causes a stress equivalent to a weight of 60 pounds on your neck.
An average person’s head weighs 10-12 pounds, whereas a neck bend of 45 degrees can cause a stress of 45 pounds to our neck.
Which is enough to clear our doubts, about why our neck starts aching after a day long work on computer, including the time spent on texting on phone.
Symptoms Associated with Text Neck
- Upper back pain ranging from a chronic, nagging pain to sharp, severe upper back muscle spasms.
- Pain and tightness in shoulders, stretching upto neck.
- If a cervical nerve becomes pinched, pain and possibly neurological symptoms can radiate down your arm and into your hand.
- In chronic conditions it may also lead to early signs of arthritis.
Standing tall not only makes you look smart, but also improves your overall health and alertness.
An average person spends, 3 hours a day surfing and texting over the phone, says study conducted by mobileinsurance.com which adds up to around 3.9 years of average person’s life.
How bad posture affects your health
A study performed in San Francisco State University, revealed that students having a slouch posture were reported to be high feeling of depression and low in energy as compared to the other half of students who were asked to do skipping.
While there are several other problems caused by bad posture, like –
- Bad posture makes your body get dis-balanced,
- Reduction in proper lung functioning,
- It reduces your attentiveness, because the nerves starts taking much time to react to stimuli.
- Gastrointestinal Pains, etc
How to Correct your Posture
- Avoid walking slouch, and try to stand straight,
- Always remember to sit straight,
- Use firm mattress, while sleeping,
- Sit at the edge of the chair and your chest near the table, this will help you sit straight all the time,
- Strengthen your core muscles, so that you can automatically stand and sit tall.
- Start doing yoga, like Bhujangasana (for curing your back, ache), Back-Bridge (helps straightening your back bone).
- Stretch your arms straight above in the air while looking at your fingers above, you can do this exercise while sitting or while standing.
There are several other methods for straightening your neck, improving your posture and health, about which I will keep on writing to help you stay fit, do not forget to share this article with your friends, family and colleagues to help them stay fit and healthy.
You can also comment your precious views in the comment box below.
Latest posts by Aditya (see all)
- Why you Should let your child watch Cartoons & Animations - 27th December 2017
- Alcohol Abuse and its Long Term Effects - 7th March 2017
- How To Get a Good Night’s Sleep Naturally - 16th January 2017