Delhi along with it’s neighbouring cities and states reached the new heights of air pollution last November. At this critical stage when it has become hard for a citizen to find fresh air in the environment, the only option left is to make our body resist against the toxic affects of polluted air of the Indian Capital.
I have brought you an ancient, old yet magically effective ‘Ayurveda’ to fight the toxic affects of air.
10 Ayurvedic hacks to survive Delhi’s dangerous pollution
1. Turmeric (Curcuma longa):
Turmeric (an antioxidant) is long known to protect lungs from the toxic affects of air pollution.
It is also well known that turmeric is being used to treat problems caused by the toxic and polluted air. It is used to treat Bronchitis and for relieving asthma.
2. Tulsi (Basil):
Alternatively it is also known as holy basil. Tulsi is the most common name in almost every household in India. And is widely accepted as the holy plant just because of it’s long list of health and environmental benefits.
Tulsi is beneficial for fighting ailments, fighting bacterial & viral infections, treats skin & hair disorders and helps strengthening immune system.
- Tulsi acts as a cleansing, detoxifying as well as purifying agent.
- It has antiviral and antibacterial properties which helps in relieving cough, sore throat, cold, headache, chest congestion, etc which are one of the most common problems in the areas like Delhi these days, where it is difficult to find fresh air.
- It is beneficial in treating respiratory ailments like asthma & bronchitis.
Just pluck few fresh leaves and consume them directly after properly washing them with water, and keep the problems away from you.
3. Ghrit kumari (Aloe barbadensis):
It has the property to clean the organic by-products like formaldehyde, benzene effectively. It has air cleaning capabilities and is one of the best plants for air purification.
- Ghrit Kimari (Aloe Vera) helps relieving sinus problems. It is rich in magnesium lactate that works as an antihistamine which helps in reducing the problem of chest inflammation and sinus due to various allergies.
- Drinking aloe vera juice on a regular basis helps replenishing the amino acid deficiency in our body. The high vitamin content in aloe vera boosts up our body’s immune system and self-defense mechanism.
- Aloe vera juice is also best known to treat chest congestions, cough, cold, stuffy nose, bronchitis, etc due to its anti bacterial and anti viral properties along with the antioxidant properties, which also kills the free radicals in the body.
4. Twak (cinnamon zeylanciun):
Cinnamon helps in removal of waste materials from the body. It aids in eliminating the toxins from the body and cleanses the complete system of the individuals. It imparts a hygienic and clean environment and protects an individual from chronic disorders.
- Kantashuddhikara – cleanses, clears throat. Improves voice
- Kaphakasahara – relieves cough with sputum
- Peenasahara – relieves allergic rhinitis, running nose
- Hrut Bastigata Jantujit – relieves microbe infestation related to bladder, lungs and heart
- Kanta Vaktra Rujahara – relieves throat and oral pain
- Vishapaha – anti toxic, useful in toxic conditions
5. Madhurika (Foeniculum vulgare):
It has carmitative, anti-spasmodic, purgative, hepatic and anti-emetic properties. It helps in alleviating vata, pitta and kapha doshas. It helps in detoxifying body and inhibits the retention of water to a huge extent.
- Durnama Kshayajit – useful in chronic respiratory conditions leading to emaciation.
- Balya – improves strength and immunity
- Kasa – cough, cold
6. Ginger (Zingiber officinale):
Ginger is an essential herb, which contains gingerols. This compound has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, blood purifying and detoxification properties. These properties make this herb highly efficient for purifying the body properly.
- Improves immune system of the body to strengthen body to fight against toxicity
- Fight respiratory infections.
7. Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa):
Punarnava has cleansing and purifying properties, according to ayurveda. It has diuretic properties and has the ability to detoxify the body. It helps reduce the toxicity and clean the blood.
- It is useful in purifying the blood and also the gastric juices
- It energizes the body and improves strength
- Punarnava promotes the removal of catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes, thus helps treating asthma.
8. Amlaki (Emblica officinalis):
Amlaki helps to detoxify the body from the various toxins and harmful chemicals. It has purifying properties, which helps to clean the body by expelling the body wastes from the body effectively. It enhances immunity and slows down the process of ageing. Amalaki is the richest source of vitamin C which helps to provide stamina to the body.
- Prevents common cold
- It is a nutritional powerhouse and hence used to boost immunity and restore body’s vitality
- Provides energy to vital organs and hence used in chronic illness recovery
- It facilitates absorption of iron in the body and improves haemoglobin level
- Fresh Aamla juice mixed with fresh ginger juice, honey & a pinch of rock salt is an effective remedy to prevent frequent attacks of common cold and sinusitis.
9. Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri):
This herb helps to purify blood and get rid of the waste materials from the body. It also maintains the level of bilirubin, functioning of liver and is an excellent herb for the purification of the body from the various pollutants, especially air pollution.
It is bitter, astringent, cold, anti inflammatory, hepatoprotective and useful in liver disorders, cough, asthma, jaundice, spleen disorders.
10. Garlic (Allium sativum):
Garlic is loaded with a lot of sulfur. It has stimulating impact on liver, which helps to eliminate the toxic substances from the body. It also has detoxifying enzymes, which filters waste materials from the blood stream.
- It can combat common cold,
- It helps detoxify the body
Apart from these 10 Ayurvedic hacks.. if you want to add your own suggestions feel free to add them in the comment/discussion box below.