Milk is a drink that probably every parent want their child to drink for their child’s good health. So, the question is.. Is milk good for you?? if it is.. then how good it is for us , and vice versa.
How is milk good for you??
USDA’s dietary guidelines have repeatedly advised to drink 2 to 3 cups of milk daily. So what did they found so healthy in milk ??
The answer is .. they found 3 most important nutrients in milk which are essential for our healthy body growth. They are : Calcium, Potassium and Vitamin D.
- Calcium. Calcium works for the development and maintenance of bones and teeth. Calcium also helps in maintaining Blood Pressure to normal and in muscle contraction and heart beat. Moreover it also participates in wound healing and blood clotting. Looks like we can’t live healthy without calcium… And the milk contains calcium in ample amount.
- Potassium. There is 20% decreased risk of dying from all causes if you are taking balanced potassium diet. Potassium is among the chief electrolytes in the human body that helps conducting the electricity in our body and maintains a healthy blood pH. Study suggests that a regular intake of potassium diet is mandatory for contraction of our skeletal and smooth muscles which ultimately helps in muscular and digestive functioning.
- Vitamin D. While Vitamin D is essential for strong and healthy bones, potassium and calcium take part in developing the structure of bones. Also, without vitamin D our body can not absorb both potassium and calcium. So, if you want your skeleton to be fit and straight, you should keep in mind the importance of vitamin D for our body.
Lack of vitamin D results in soft bones or Rickets in children and may even result in fragile bones. Lack of vitamin D for longer period of time in adults may result in breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart diseases, weight gain and can even lead to depression.
Ample amount of Vitamin D in our body enables the production of serotonin, a hormone responsible for appetite, mood and sleep which if not properly managed could lead to depression.
Milk can build Muscle??
Milk is among the major foods for building muscle. Protein present in milk contains about 20 percent whey protein and 80 percent casein protein. Both of these proteins are used generally in powder form for building muscles.
- Whey Protein. Whey is actually found in watery portion of milk. Whey protein is generally considered as a complete protein which can be digested fast and easily. And a protein is said to be complete protein when it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
Whey protein helps in getting weight loss, muscle building, helpful in cancer treatment, improves our immune system and gives us ample amount of sporting power.
- Casein Protein. Casein Protein contains essential, non-essential and branched-chain amino acids. It is slow digesting protein unlike whey due to which less protein gets oxidized and lesser protein gets wasted away.
Casein produces overall protein balance compared to whey, because of its slow digestion and balanced elevation of amino acids in body. Casein is usually referred to as “anti-catabolic” because of this slow acting nature.
The only major and free source of vitamin D is sunlight, which nobody has enough time today to get some in their daily busy life, so drinking milk instead can be a much better option to fulfil the need of vitamin D in our body.
So far I have told you the benefits of milk either it is for skeleton maintenance or for muscle building or it is for preventing various diseases. Milk is proven to be beneficial so far.
But everything beneficial, remains beneficial until taken in balanced amount, excess of anything is bad, and so applies for the consumption of milk too. Milk can lead to diarrhoea like conditions if taken more than 3 cups or more a day.
So, kids your parents were right from the beginning about the cup of milk, so start drinking it regularly if you want to stay strong and it can help you build body muscles too. 🙂
Keep drinking this natural drink for your health, and keep on reading our blog. Also do not forget to comment your useful suggestions for us below the article.